An epidural steroid injection can be a great solution when managing chronic back pain that radiates to the arms or legs. This type of injection is used to reduce inflammation of the nerve roots in the spine, which can help to alleviate back pain and improve mobility. While the procedure is often associated with women giving birth, it is not limited to this population and can benefit anyone experiencing chronic back pain. However, like any medical treatment, you must consult an expert physician at Clearway Pain Solutions to determine if this procedure suits your needs. This article will provide an overview of what you need to know about epidural steroid injections and help you decide if it’s the right option.
What is an Epidural Steroid Injection?
Epidural steroid injections are a type of injection typically used to relieve pain caused by certain conditions. It is one of the most effective treatments for some types of pain and can be administered by your doctor or nurse as an outpatient procedure.
Epidural steroid injections are usually given through a small needle inserted into the area between the spinal cord (called the epidural space) and the surrounding tissue. This relieves nerve damage, inflammation, or other conditions that cause pain in the area of the injection and any radicular pain that the patient may be feeling in their extremities. The injection may also help reduce swelling around joints.
Epidural steroid injections are effective for many different types of pain, including:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Pain, numbness, or tingling in your arms or legs
- Sciatica (pain down a leg)
- Leg cramps
Clearway Pain Solutions is an excellent choice for an epidural steroid injection for chronic back pain, with a team of highly trained and experienced pain management experts and a patient-centered approach to care.
Why Does Someone Need An Epidural Steroid Injection?
An epidural steroid injection treats pain caused by nerve damage in the spine. Epidural steroid injections are typically given if you have severe pain that does not respond to medication or physical therapy. The injection helps reduce inflammation in the spinal cord and relieves pain by reducing the number of chemicals released from injured nerves.
Epidural Steroid Injections may be recommended if you have:
- Radiculopathy: Tingling or numbness that radiates down the arms or legs cause by a damaged nerve in the spine
- Degenerative Disc Disease: degradation of the discs in your spine
- Spinal Stenosis: a narrowing of the vertebrae in the spine that compresses nerves, causing pain
- Nerve damage from high-speed collisions (or other trauma)
- A pinched nerve in your neck or back that’s causing chronic pain
- Chronic pain from arthritis
How Can An Epidural Steroid Injection Help Manage Pain?
An epidural steroid injection can be an effective treatment option for managing chronic back pain. It involves injecting a corticosteroid medication into the spine’s epidural space to reduce inflammation and relieve pain. In this section, we will provide a brief overview of how an epidural steroid injection can help manage pain.
- Reducing Inflammation: The corticosteroid medication injected into the epidural space can help reduce inflammation in the spinal nerves and surrounding tissues. Inflammation can cause swelling and irritation, leading to pain and discomfort. By reducing inflammation, the injection can help relieve pain.
- Numbing the Affected Area: The injection also contains a local anesthetic, which can help numb the affected area and provide immediate pain relief. This can help break the cycle of pain and inflammation and provide a window of time for other treatments, such as physical therapy or chiropractic care, to be more effective.
- Targeted Relief: Unlike oral medications, which are distributed throughout the body, epidural steroid injections are targeted directly at the site of pain. This can help provide more effective pain relief with fewer side effects.
- Improving Function: By reducing pain and inflammation, an epidural steroid injection can also help improve function and quality of life. Patients may be able to participate in activities they had previously avoided due to pain and may experience improved mobility and range of motion.
What Should You Expect After An Epidural Steroid Injection?
After receiving an epidural steroid injection, it is essential to know what to expect in terms of recovery, downtime, and any restrictions that may be necessary. Additionally, it is important to understand the potential improvements in pain relief and function that may result from the procedure.
Recovery after an epidural steroid injection is typically quick and uncomplicated. Patients can expect to feel some mild discomfort or soreness at the injection site for a few days. This is a normal reaction and should not cause undue concern. Ice packs and over-the-counter pain medications can be used to manage any discomfort. Patients may also experience some numbness or weakness in the legs or arms, depending on the location of the injection. This usually resolves within a few hours or days after the procedure.
As for downtime, patients may need to take it easy for a day or two after the injection, but most people can return to their normal activities the day after the procedure. However, it is important to avoid strenuous activities or heavy lifting for a few days after the injection to avoid aggravating the injection site and to allow the medication to take effect. Your medical provider will explain any restrictions or activity modifications that may be required of you after your injection.
Some patients experience immediate pain relief following an epidural steroid injection. In contrast, others may need a few days to a week for the medication’s full effect to be felt. Patients may also require multiple injections over several weeks or months to relieve long-term pain.
An epidural steroid injection can be a safe and effective treatment option for chronic back pain. By understanding what to expect after the procedure, patients can better prepare themselves for recovery and set realistic expectations for pain relief and function.
Why Choose Clearway Pain Solutions For An Epidural Steroid Injection?
Clearway Pain Solutions is a leading provider of epidural steroid injections, including traditional therapy and transforaminal injections. Clearway has provided high-quality epidural steroid injections and has served professional athletes and weekend warriors since its inception. Our team comprises highly trained physicians committed to providing the highest quality care for each patient.
We know that your body can’t always tell you when it’s in pain, so we’ve created a process that helps our patients identify the source of their discomfort so that we can treat the issue at its source. This process is not just about finding out why you’re feeling pain—it’s about ensuring we’re treating the root cause of what’s causing your pain in the first place. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.