What is the Osteocool procedure?
The Osteocool procedure is a minimally invasive treatment for painful bone tumors. It uses a special device called an Osteocool RF Ablation System to destroy the tumor cells using heat. The device works by inserting a thin, hollow needle into the tumor and then using radiofrequency energy to heat and destroy the cancer cells.
The procedure is performed under local anesthesia and typically takes about an hour to complete. After the procedure, patients can usually go home the same day and resume their normal activities within a few days.
How Does the Osteocool Procedure Work?
The Osteocool procedure works by using heat to destroy the cancer cells in the bone tumor. The device used in the procedure, the Osteocool RF Ablation System, delivers radiofrequency energy through a thin, hollow needle that is inserted into the tumor. The energy heats the tumor cells to a temperature that destroys them, while leaving the surrounding healthy tissue unharmed.
The procedure is guided by imaging technology such as CT or MRI, which helps the doctor to precisely target the tumor and avoid damage to nearby nerves and blood vessels.
What are the Benefits of the Osteocool Procedure?
The Osteocool procedure offers several benefits for patients with bone tumors. These include:
- Minimally invasive: The Osteocool procedure is minimally invasive, meaning it requires only a small incision and does not require open surgery. This means less pain, less scarring, and a faster recovery time.
- Effective: The Osteocool procedure is an effective treatment for many types of bone tumors. It can help relieve pain and improve quality of life for patients with bone tumors.
- Quick recovery: Because the Osteocool procedure is minimally invasive, patients can usually go home the same day and resume their normal activities within a few days.
- Low risk of complications: The Osteocool procedure has a low risk of complications, making it a safe treatment option for many patients with bone tumors.
Who is a Candidate for the Osteocool Procedure?
The Osteocool procedure may be recommended for patients with bone tumors who:
- Have pain that is not relieved by other treatments
- Have a tumor that is causing weakness or instability in the bone
- Have a tumor that is located in a difficult-to-reach area
- Are not able to undergo surgery due to other health conditions
If you have been diagnosed with a bone tumor and are experiencing pain or other symptoms, talk to your doctor to see if the Osteocool procedure may be a good treatment option for you.
What to expect after your Osteocool procedure
The most common side effects of the Osteocool procedure are usually mild and temporary and may include pain or discomfort in the treated area, skin redness, bruising and/or swelling at the site of the procedure, temporary numbness or tingling at the treatment site, and fatigue. It is important to note that while these side effects are common, they are generally mild and short-lived. Most patients experience significant pain relief and improved quality of life after the Osteocool procedure. If you experience any unusual or persistent side effects, be sure to contact your doctor to discuss your concerns.
Your aftercare instructions may vary slightly depending on your individual medical needs but generally include rest, activity modification, and managing any temporary increases in pain through oral medications and icing the affected area for 20 minutes at a time. Your Clearway care team will ensure you understand all of your aftercare instructions to maximize the procedure’s effectiveness.
The Osteocool procedure is a minimally invasive treatment for painful bone tumors that offers several benefits over traditional surgery. It uses heat to destroy cancer cells in the tumor while leaving surrounding healthy tissue unharmed, and has a low risk of complications. If you have been diagnosed with a bone tumor, talk to your doctor to see if the Osteocool procedure may be a good treatment option for you.